Sunday, February 3, 2008



Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: "Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.

Not all Jewish exiles return to their homeland when given the opportunity. Some have put down roots during the half-century of Babylonian captivity, and when the more tolerant Persian regime takes command, many of these Jews decide to stay. Suddenly, though, these Jews in Persia face a grave crisis. Their success has attracted so much jealousy that a powerful man is leading a conspiracy to kill every Jew in the land. Tragically, the underlying plot of the book of Esther is an old and familiar one to Jews. Throughout history- the Roman campaigns, medieval Jew-hunts, Russian pogroms, Hitler's "final solution"- they have faced a constant threat of extermination.

Ensconced in the luxury of the palace, the beautiful Queen Esther is possibly the only Jew in Persia who has not heard of the extermination plans. She is most likely safe, but her adoptive father, her cousin Mordecai, warns that the king might just as easily turn against her too. Mordecai has a sophisticated view of God's providence that never lapses into fatalism. He believes that God will somehow preserve his people; yet he also knows that God might accomplish that goal through the courageous actions of people like himself and Esther.

In Esther's day a queen does not easily stand up to her husband- especially like Xerxes. By intervening for the sake of her race, Esther places her own life in jeopardy. Chapter 4 spells out Esther's dilemma and describes the decision she fianlly reaches. The rest of the book records a series of plot twists: the Jews are spared, even honored, and the original conspirator is hanged in the place of Mordecai. Esther's story is a thrilling chapter in the narrative of God's love for the Jews.

Life Question: Someone once called coincidences "God's way of working anonymously." Do you tend to give God credit for the "conicidences" in your life?

All to often. It's so easy to embrace the idea..."What a lucky thing to have happen." Yet, my notion of luck is probably God's divine plan of helping steer my life closer to His Son...and the things that happen to me as well as the people whom I interact with each and every day all probably have a specific purpose, a purpose that I'm not always in tune with. The next time "luck" comes my way, I should offer a sincere prayer of thanks instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a child of God, I think it's fairly easy to acknowledge God's hand during the "coincidences". In fact, I think it's great to be able to (in human terms) look back and put the pieces together to see how (we think) God moved in our lives. I am confident that He deserves full credit, I just often wish I could see and understand as He does.
In a somewhat related note, I wanted to mention the other side of this: being thankful and recognizing God's hand during the bad times in life. I'm struggling with this - finding it easy to get frustrated and victimized by bad "circumstances". It's even more pressing when you feel like your in a rut. But we must remember that God is in control and that he is bent on making us to be more like his Son. I don't think He's as concerned with my job status, my bills, my comfort level - as much is he is concerned with my spiritual development and how I am willing to serve His Kingdom. I can so easily forget the eternal...
We are instructed to not be anxious about anything - but to pray - WITH THANKSGIVING! Wow, yeah, that's the hard one. I must be honest, that giving God credit and trust through the trials, seems to reap more character and strength than in the "good times".

Can you be thankful for loosing your job? Can you thank God for your car breaking down? Yeah, we're human all right; but we can thank Him during these times - to get us through, to see these trials through his eyes and not ours. How can I grow through this, God?

Much room for growth...
(give praise for patience, mercy, and grace)

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of the dialogue of Jeremiah 29:11. God says: "I know the plans I have for you". Out of a time of exile the Jews were reminded that this circumstance is not the end of the story. These circumstances cause the people of God to seek Him with all of their heart. I seek Him in desperation more readily than prosperity. All circumstances end in His glory if I keep my eyes on Him rather than my supposed bad luck.