Sunday, August 5, 2007

1 Samuel 15: A Rejected King

For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, he has rejected you as king.

Saul had everything going for him. Tall and handsome, he naturally commanded attention. God chose him as the first king in the history of Israel. Soon after he was secretly anointed, God's Spirit came on him- an encounter with God that affected his entire personality.

Almost immediately Saul led a successful rescue operation, saving the people of a besieged city from mutilation. He was then publicly crowned king, even though he did no politicking for the office. (In fact, he hid during the selection.) He wisely refrained from allowing his opponents to be punished. Instead, he united all 12 tribes behind him, even though he himself came from a small, minority tribe.

Yet Saul's life went tragically wrong. The first sign of trouble, as 1 Samuel tells the story, came not long after he had become king. While preparing for a campaign against the Philistines, Saul grew impatient. Samuel, scheduled to lead in the proper spiritual preparation for battle, was seven days late. Saul's men began to desert, and Saul decided he could wait no longer. The king himself began to make the religious sacrifices that Samuel, as priest, was suppose to make. The hastiness of Israel's king, insignificant though it may seem, showed an inner weakness: his willingness to compromise God's directions under pressure.

Sometime later Saul compromised again in a high-pressure situation, not following the precise instructions God had given for a military campaign (15:3). Again Samuel caught him in the act. This time he accused Saul of rebelling against God. So, without God's and Samuel's support, Saul lost his sense of confidence as well as a strong compulsion to obey God. In the end, Saul's poor leadership left Israel worse off than at the beginning, and it would take the work of a young shepherd boy by the name of David to restore the glory of God to the Israelites.

Life Question: When you are put in the role of leader, how do you respond to pressure?

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that it's during these times that I pray most. I've got to start incorporating prayer into every facet of my life, but I too often only turn to God when I'm challenged at either work or home. I've been blessed, because God has taken real good care of me in life, but I'm guessing that He would appreciate more frequent communication from me other than when I just need something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I completely lose my focus in pressure times and usually need to get some time by myself to work through the issues. Yes: that is prayer time. Most of the time prayer is viewed as dialogue with God, but often more is learned by being still. I find myself asking questions that I would not even bring to the table if I used the quiet thinking mode more often. Ever notice how hard it is to be still before God? Or how rare it is to get to a quiet spot to think about even what to ask for? That is why often times I crack under pressure situations and then need to seek out ways to repair the damage. I am thankful that doing things the hard way prepares my heart and mind for seeking out God's way. We are still under construction and the process is a continuing work of grace.