Thursday, June 28, 2007



Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time. She held court under the Palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the Israelites came to her to have their disputes decided.

God wanted better things for his people than he got in Judges. He had rescued Israel from slavery in Egypt. He had given his people a rich land and presented them with a grand system of worship and government centering on himself. He would be no distant God in the heavens- he would live with them. But after some initial enthusiasm, the Israelites didn't continue the way God had pointed.

The Israelites held the mountains, but the foreign-held valleys, cutting through the land, separated the tribes. Soon each group of isolated Israelites began operating independently. But yet, the numerous foreign invasions recorded throughout this book were no accident. God allowed suffering as a consequence of the Israelite's disobedience. When things grew really terrible, their attention would turn back to God. He would respond by sending a judge to rescue them. But soon they would fail again. This pattern repeated itself time and again. The Israelites always forgot their need for God, and the dreary cycle ground on.

Deborah won her fame leading a desperate nation to victory. With Israel under the thumb of a cruel foreign ruler, she gave orders for Barak to lead a revolt. He refused to go unless brave Deborah would agree to accompany him into battle. With her giving the orders, Israel's 10,000 troops routed a better-equipped enemy. Deborah's triumph led to 40 years of peace.

It is hard to think of an area in which Deborah did not excel. She was a mother and wife. Her wisdom was so renowned that people brought their disputes to her as she sat under a large palm tree, the Palm of Deborah. As a prophet, she had the ability to understand God's message and relay it to this people. Women often get overlooked in the Old Testament, but Deborah is one spectacular exception. As a military leader, poet, prophet and judge, she used her talents to inspire Israel during a dark time.

Life Question: In what areas could you develop your talents to become more well-rounded?

I've always struggled with my listening skills. I think in part, I've always held tight to the mentality of a teacher: I was in charge in the classroom, I had a set lesson to get through, and I was able to orchestrate how I wanted to spend a 50 minute period- not exactly a mold that fits into the "real world". My new job will be a definite learning curve for me because I'm slowly learning that a big part of my job will be communicating (i.e.- listening) with parents about their concerns and aspirations they have for their kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to work on my time in solitude with God. Everything is so loud, cluttered, and task oriented in my days that I need to recharge my spirit. I guess this would also be a form of improving my listening skills as I look the One who gives purpose to everything on my dayplanner.

Anonymous said...

Note: It was very unuasual in the cultural setting of Deborah's day to have a woman leading the men in this fashion. It says a lot for the leadership of God's people and reminds us that God uses any person devoted to His service.