Sunday, May 13, 2007


Deuteronomy 8: Dangers of Success

When your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery....You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth...

The Israelites have learned the habit of depending on God in the Sinai wilderness, where they needed God's intervention each day just to eat and drink. But now, on the banks of the Jordan River, they are about to face a more difficult test of faith. Moses fears the coming prosperity even more than the rigors of the desert, and he voices those fears here in chapter 8. In the promised land, a lush country of streams and fruit trees and valuable resources, the Israelites might forget God and begin to take credit for their own success.

For this reason, Moses keeps urging them to remember the days of slavery in Egypt and God's acts in liberating you. Remember the trails of the vast, desolate desert and God's faithfulness there. Remember your special calling as a peculiar treasure of God. Do not forget, as a prosperous nation, what you have learned as refugees in the Sinai.

Moses has good reason for concern. God, who sees the future, told Moses plainly what will happen: "When I have brought them into the land flowing with milk and honey, the land I promised on oath to their forefathers, and when they eat their fill and thrive, they will turn to other gods and worship them, rejecting me and breaking my covenant." (31:20) As the books following Deuteronomy record, everything that God and Moses fear comes true. The Israelites prove less faithful to God after they move into the promised land, breaking the covenant irreparably. In the end they receive, not wealth and happiness, but slavery and suffering.

Ironically, as Deuteronomy shows, success can make dependence on God less of an urgent need in our lives. There is grave danger in finally getting what we want.

Life Question: What has been the most "successful" period of your life? What was your relationship with God like then?

Honestly, I think I'm living it right now...and am trying earnestly to improve my relationship with Christ because it is all too easy to lose sight of what's important in life when you have very little financial concerns or family tragedies to contend with. I've been blessed in both areas, and I know that it's time now for me- more than ever- to give back to God for He deserves all the credit and praise for the blessings in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The question is a difficult one for me. It seems the question mainly concerns financial or monetary aspects of success. It seems that I've always been provided for and was even able to handle a major medical tradgedy for my disabled daughter. I will attest to this: When trouble strikes and you are without resources and ability to stand; The Lord gives strenghth to the weary and is able to provide for the need. My walk with God when things are well is to strengthen my character at times of distress. It is easy to take the Lord's blessing for granted until we have something we think we deserve taken away.