Friday, April 20, 2007


Numbers 22: A Prophet and his Talking Donkey

Balaam said to God, "Balak son of Zippor, king of Moab, sent me this message: 'A people that has come out of Egypt covers the face of the land. Now come and put a curse on them for me. Perhaps then I will be able to fight them and drive them away.' " But God said to Balaam, "Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed."

Chapters 22-24 contains one of the most bizarre stories in the entire Bible. It features a donkey speaking fluent Hebrew who shows more initial insight than the reluctant prophet, Balaam, who was evidently a professional magician of a nomadic clan. He had an impressive reputation: Nearby kings, alarmed by the approaching Israelites, hired him to work magic and get the gods on their side.

Beginning in chapter 23, God clearly chose to speak through Balaam- no less than seven times. Appearing at a solemn occasion that was designed to curse the Israelites, Balaam instead pronounced blessings on them and curses upon their enemies. He gave four stirring messages, which were far different in content from what his king wanted to hear. Through these oracles, Balaam grew bolder and bolder, changing from a sorcerer into a strong prophet for the time being. Tragically, the changes in him were only temporary as New Testament writings indicate that he quickly returned to his treacherous ways and resorted to manipulating the Israelites to worship false gods.

Some have called Balaam the Judas of the Old Testament. Both men came close enough to truth to appear sincere and faithful. For a time, both seemed to serve the true God. But, motivated by ambition and greed, they renounced God and turned against him, with catastrophic results. The importance of this story also illustrates a key event in the Israelite's relationship with pagan cultures. They were about to enter a land where magic and sorcery were used as national weapons. Yet, in a stroke of irony, God selected a spokesman who was both magician and pagan. Through him God rebuked those nations and their false gods.

Life Question: Have you ever been used by God despite your own reluctance?
.
I've had the same student now for two years in my English class- once in American lit and this year for World lit. I remember last year receiving a report from our school counselor that this young man had been diagnosed with a severe learning disability. Shamefully, I wasn't thrilled knowing that I would have to "go the extra mile" with this kid so that he could have a chance at succeeding. I dreaded the extra time outside of class that I knew he would require. But, he has truly blossomed into a great kid, and I have so enjoyed having him as a student. He has come a long way in interacting with the rest of the kids in class, and he has taught me an awful lot in terms of potential.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much like your comment ,Rob ; I took on a young guitar student with A.D.D. and other emotional problems and learned more than I thought possible in the situation. I was the student in many ways and learned things from this challenged dear one that I will not forget.