Wednesday, April 11, 2007


Numbers 11: A Tribe of Grumblers

The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, "If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost- also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!"

The Book of Numbers tells how a short excursion turned into a 40-year detour. Petty things seem to bother the Israelites most, as their constant complaints about food indicate. With a few exceptions, they eat the same thing every day: manna, which spontaneously comes with the dew each night and appears like frost on the ground each morning.

The rebellion portrayed here is typical of the whole journey. The more childishly the people act, the more their leaders are forced to respond like stern parents. As this chapter shows, Moses and God take turns getting exasperated by the Israelites' constant whining.

True, conditions are rigorous. Facing a constant threat from enemy armies, the tribes have to march under a hot sun through a hostile wilderness region. But the underlying issue is a simple test of faith: Will they trust God to see them through such hard circumstances? Will they follow the terms of the covenant God has made with them and depend on his promised protection?

Life Question: Do you ever "grumble" against God? If so, what tends to trigger your complaints?
.
I have to admit, I did my share of grumbling while I was sitting through the Tribe's opener last Friday...watching the snow come down and pretty much ruin opening day. It's silly things like this that I all too often gripe and complain about, but I need to realize how God has truly blessed me. There are so many folks who have major tragedies to contend with, and so far, God has taken pretty good care of me. That said, it's extremely selfish of me to sit around and grumble about the little things in life. For all I know, God's probably a Yankee's fan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The short answer : peer pressure! Grumbling and complaining is a group effort at my workplace. I can enter the building feeling positive and up-beat. Within the first few conversations with my co-workers; my thankful tank starts getting drained. It's not long before I hear that Jackson Brown song ; "Runnin' on Empty" .