Wednesday, April 4, 2007


Leviticus 26: National Makeover

If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands...I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt so that you would no longer be slaves to the Egyptians; I broke the bars of your yoke and enabled you to walk with heads held high.

Surely the Israelites sometimes wondered if it was absolutely necessary to follow each and every single law commanded in the Book of Leviticus. The last few chapters of this book answers these questions with finality.

After four centuries in Egypt, the just-freed slaves, who are more Egyptian than anything else, need a comprehensive makeover. That is exactly what God gives them- an identity that will stand out in stark contrast to that of their pagan neighbors. God is determined to create a unique people worthy of carrying his identity. God's laws are not optional for the Israelites.

The reward for obeying the laws will make the Israelites the envy of the world. But what if they disobey? God spells out in frightening detail the punishments they can expect. The choice is literally in their hands.

Today, because of Jesus Christ, we don't live in the world of Leviticus. Jesus' perfect self-sacrifice made the daily sacrifice of animals unnecessary. He replaced the high priest as our representative before God. Jesus cleanses the real source of our sinful nature. Leviticus was meant to teach people some basic truths about God, and when their lessons were complete, they could go on to bigger and better things. The New Testament spells out this graduation.

Life Question: "When approaching a stop sign, come to a complete stop before proceeding." "You are not allowed to pass when a yellow line is on your side of the road." These two laws, in addition to a litany of others, may be a pain to memorize, but without them driving would be absolute chaos. The Book of Leviticus has a similar function. It is primarily a list of laws, rules, and instructions to ensure holiness and order in worship and the people's way of life. When was the last time you had to memorize something that may have been painstaking, but in the end, served a greater purpose?

Hmm...I would like to say the Pentatonic/ Chromatic scales, but unfortunately, I haven't mastered those yet. (sorry, Greg!) I've never been a big fan of rote memory, but the content that I cover in my classes- for the most part- need to be ingrained inside me so that I can hopefully convey the material to the kids in a relaxed, and confident manner. Otherwise, it can make for a very long class. That said, the old adage that the best way to learn something is to teach it...is so incredibly true. I look back at my first couple of years, and wondered how in the world I got through them. Nothing can take the place of a sink or swim experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Over a period of time; I would take Bible verses and walk with them everyday and use that time to memorize and meditate on key scripture passages. I still find myself going back over the ones I can recall and realize the power for life that they hold. I am greatful that we have the completion and fulfillment of God's law in the teaching and life of Jesus Christ.