Saturday, March 17, 2007

Leviticus 10: A Fatal Error

Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fiere in them and addes incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, contray to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord.

Chapter 8 of Leviticus tells the story of the first high priest. God had set apart the tribe of Levi to perform religious duties for the entire nation. In this scene, Moses' brother Aaron assumed the new office of high priest. The impressive public ceremony lasted eight days in all and culminated in a dramatic display of God's approval ( 9:24) From then on, the priesthood remained in Aaron's family.

However, chapter 10 relates the tragic episode of the death of Aaron's two sons, Nadab and Abihu and emphasizes the importances of strict adherence to God's laws- specifically the body of laws for the newly inaugurated priests. Offering an illicit incense, the two priest brothers suffered a fiery death in the Lord's presence. Some scholars suggests that the account follows an earlier tradition in chapters 8 and 9 in which only Aaron had received priestly consecration; thus, the sons were performing these ceremonial acts without actually being high priests. The possibility that the two brothers were drunk while entering the Tabernacle has also been proposed based upon the command that the Lord gives to Aaron later in verses 8-11.

Regardless of the actual crime that was committed, God's glory- so often restricted to loving signs of his power and might- is here revealed in a frightening and awesome manner. Additionally, in the face of this tragedy, Aaron remains silent while his cousins are summoned to remove the bodies of his sons outside the camp. Because of the seriousness of the violation, Aaron was prohibiited from mourning over the death of his two sons or participating in their burial rites. This whole episode underscores the importance of observing even the finest detail of ritual and law.

Life Question: Do you find it difficult to find the justice in God's swift and severe Old Testament punishments such as in the story of the death of Aaron's sons? Do stories like this make it even more challenging to profess your faith?

Yes and....yes. I guess in some ways, it's my own sense of selfishness that I simply want all the answers and an absolute comprehension of God's plan. But, I think I've come to realize that my life can be a roadmap for discovering God's plan and will- if I'm willing to work, listen, and obey His Biblical laws. Stories such as this make me simply stand in awe of the power of God- and truly brings me a whole new appreciation to the phrase "the fear of the Lord".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear of the Lord and God's punishment. I think that every event in our lives we give meaning to it. I believe that real fear of the Lord is knowing who the Almighty is and who I am. When I try to be the Almighty, I sin. I do not repent until I remeber who I am and who God is. The I desire that the Lord is the creator and mover of the earth. I am uncomfortable with the image of God as a cop who meets out punishment. As I read these passages I try to find the grace of God that actively calls me to be a participant in salvation. Who are the heroic character of scripture that never forgets the Almighty is Lord? So much of the OT is about going to God rather then living "in" the spirit of God.

Anonymous said...

I really do not question God's judgement in these matters. I guess the real question should be: Why doesn't He deal severly more often than He does?? It seems that when God is doing a new thing He often deals severly to show His great power and authority over us ( as in Acts 5 - Ananias & Sapphira's Lie to the Holy Spirit ). I have no problem professing my faith with these things in mind but I am reminded of my necessity to proceed with "fear and trembling".