Wednesday, March 7, 2007


Exodus 32: the Dream Dies

When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain. And he took the calf they had made and burned it in the fire; then he ground it to powder, scattered it on the water and made the Israelites drink it.

The bright hope of Exodus 20 dies quickly in Exodus 32. For 40 days Moses visits with God on Mount Sinai, receiving the terms of the agreement that will allow an unprecedented closeness between God and human beings. What happens down below, at the foot of the mountain, almost defies belief.

The Israelites- the same people who have seen the ten plagues of Egypt, who have crossed the Red Sea on dry ground, who have drunk water from a rock, who are digesting the miracle of manna in their stomachs at this very moment- these same people feel impatience and rebellion, and apparently forget all about their God. By the time Moses descends from Mount Sinai, the Israelites, God's chosen people, are dancing like pagans around a golden statue.
.
Moses is so mad at this sight that he hurls to the ground the commandment tablets of stone signed by God himself; God is so mad that he nearly destroys the whole nation. Yet, one ray of hope shines out of this dark scene. Moses, the stuttering, reluctant leader, seems to grow into his position at last. His eloquent prayers are answered, and God grants the Israelites yet another chance.
.
Life Question: Moses, in a moment of utter frustration and disbelief in the Israelite's behavior, lost his temper and hurled the tablets to the ground. When was the last time you lost your "cool"?
.
I'm usually most apt to lose my temper at work...with the 900 adolescents that I'm blessed to be with each day. Most of our kids are great, but every so often I'll encounter an incident that tries my patience. I've gotten into the practice of using a "cooling-down" period...that way, I can collect my thoughts, plan out a course of action, and not be tempted to pummel the child with a stone tablet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of adolescents; my position as Union President can be my best chance to be overcome with anger. The trick is to get past what is happening to me personnally and get to the root of the problem. The symptoms of most conflict come from the heart of selfish people who want their own way in thear own time. I am so thankful that the Lord's anger with my sinful condition has been taken care of at the cross. Now I am in student mode trying to complete the life-lessons as He schools me.