Wednesday, February 7, 2007


Genesis 37: The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

"Here comes that dreamer!" they said to each other. "Come now, let's kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we'll see what comes of his dreams!"

Genesis tells of several great brotherly rivals: Cain and Abel, Isaac and his half-brother Ishmael, Jacob and Esau. In this story, Joseph's story, 11 brothers conspire against one. However, it's safe to say that Joseph was a bit of a spoiled brat who was definitely the favored by his father, Jacob. He got the fancy clothes and preferential treatment and apparently thought he deserved them. When he had a dream of his brothers bowing down to him, he had the gall to tell them all about it. Thus, begins one of the great Biblical adventure stories of all time.

Deciding to take revenge on their somewhat haughty brother, Jacob's sons plan to murder Joseph. However, at the last moment, they sell him instead to traveling merchants on their way to Egypt. Neither the brothers nor their grieving father, who swallows the wild story of a wild animal attack, ever expect to see Joseph again.

God, however, has other plans. Joseph's strange dreams, which got him into so much trouble at home, prove to be his salvation in the faraway land of Egypt. God's gift of dream interpretation is a ticket to prominence in Egypt, where people revere that ability. Joseph soon finds himself at the top of Pharaoh's government.

Life Question: How does your family tend to handle conflict? Have you ever fought hard with a person close to you and then experienced reconciliation? What process did you go through?
.
I certainly don't have any recollections of my siblings tossing me into a cistern when I was younger, but I do know we had our share of altercations- with me being completely blameless, of course. I think that over the years my sisters and I have seen each other through some trying times, but invariably we have all stood by each other and been a source of strength and comfort during family troubles. I've usually shied away from altercation when it comes from my family, and in some ways my silence has not always been beneficial. I think the mark of a mature, sincere Christian is one who can hold an honest meaningful conversation with a loved one, even if it means confronting some tough issues. If your heart is in the right place, good should prevail.
.
On a side note, this truly has always been one of my favorite Old Testament stories. Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical is also a real favorite of mine. Just this morning, Josh and I watched it together, and he too became a big fan of the Elvis swinging Pharoah and the rest of the gang.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother and I continually fought as young children but came to a point in our mid-teens that we developed a friendship that has continued to this day. I have to say I have been very fortunate thus far with my siblings and have not had to weather any major conflicts. It seems when my children were all home that there was always some rivalry-fires to put out. It seems that forgiveness must rule as everyone acts selfishly at some point and must be ready to give and receive this precious commodity.