Wednesday, February 14, 2007


Exodus 3: Who, Me?

The Lord said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey...I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt."

The Book of Genesis closed with Jacob's family of 70 moving to Egypt. But in the opening scene of Exodus, 350 years later, hundreds of thousands of their ancestors are seen toiling on Pharaoh's huge construction projects- and not as guests, but slaves. One particularly ruthless Pharaoh ordered the murder of all male Israelite babies, unwittingly setting the stage for one of the great ironies of Biblical history. This very edict intended to destroy the Israelites led to their deliverance.

One has to wonder which Israelites believed in God's promises to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob from so long ago? Daily these slaves felt the whips of Egyptian taskmasters. As for the vaunted promised land, it lay to the east somewhere, carved up and under the dominion of a dozen different kings.

But, God did not forget his covenant; however, He needed a leader. For that job He selected Moses. God's initial announcement was an encounter that Moses probably never forgot.: a fiery bush, a voice from nowhere, with God introducing Himself by name. "I am...the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." The time for action had arrived, and Moses was God's handpicked choice to lead His people from slavery in Egypt to freedom in the promised land.

Life Question: Like Moses, do you ever wonder if your shortcomings disqualify you for what God wants you to do?
.
No doubt with this one...In fact, the more that I plug away with this blog Bible study, the more I second guess myself in terms of my worth in the eyes of God. I know in my heart that God is calling me to guide my kids through life and instill in them solid Christian values, but as I look back on my life and ponder over the numerous personal mishaps that span close to 40 years, at times I'm fearful whether or not I'm up to the task at hand. That said, the comfort in reading these first couple of books of the O.T. is that God repeatedly chose folks who had serious character flaws. But, by placing their faith in Him, they all were able to overcome their shortcomings in life and fulfill His will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story gives me great strenghth in the midst of my failings; God shows his Glory to Moses and says: You aren't ready but I AM . The Lord knew Moses had murdered an Egyptian before this encounter but was determined to empower him to do His work. All of Moses' excuses did not keep him from being God's Man to do His work. The Great I-AM is on a rescue mission and He uses imperfect servants who are witnesses to His Glory to work out His Redemptive Purpose in the lives of His people.