Wednesday, January 31, 2007


Genesis 28: Stairway to Heaven

He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. There above it stood the Lord, and he said: "I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying...all peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring."

Why would God choose a cheating rascal like Jacob to carry out His plan of building a holy nation? The answer is simple...God's grace. This undeserved gift is exactly what Jacob receives while traveling alone in the desert as a fugitive. Having cheated his brother out of the family birthright, he is fleeing from Esau and his murderous threats. Yet, God comes to him full of promises- not the reproaches that we would assume he deserves.

At nightfall with no place to stay, Jacob takes a stone to use for a pillow and goes to sleep. It is in a dream that he sees a great stairway, going from the earth to heaven. On the stairway are angels going up and down, and the Lord Himself is standing on the top. Jacob is so awed by the beauty and power of this dream, that upon waking, he takes the stone he had used as a pillow and makes a marker to remember this wonderful place. As if for the first time, Jacob recognizes that the "Lord will be my God" (Gen 28:21).

The dream has an ultimate messianic application - the very reason for it. Jesus Christ is humanly descended from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is our stairway to heaven that will provide us with the way to get from down here to up there. In John's Gospel, Jesus directly refers to Himself as the true object of Jacob's dream - "He then added, "I tell you the truth, you will see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man." (John 1:51)

Life Question: What is something that we can use on a daily basis to serve as our own "stairway to heaven" and ultimately bring us closer to Christ?

Certainly, prayer and Bible study are tools that can serve us well. But, I also find it extremely helpful to surround myself with friends who share the same passion and values in life. Being able to worship with folks on Sunday at the Chapel is a perfect example. I know in my heart that they are all good, Christian men and women who truly aspire to be Christ-like in their words and deeds. I suppose life's journey towards salvation can be achieved alone, but I personally find it a bit easier to travel alongside some friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I continually take my thoughts back to what my life was like before the Lord Jesus revealed to me who He is and what He has done for me. I realize that He was leading me and preparing me to understand the Way to Heaven. I will never forget the picture of rescue that I received on a September day almost thirty years ago and use it as a mental-memorial stone that keeps me close to Christ every day.