Wednesday, January 24, 2007


Genesis 22: A Final Exam

Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.

Abraham, a man renowned for his faith, does not come by that faith easily. He leaves the land of Canaan (a land God told him to claim as his own) for a safer stay in Egypt where food was plentiful; he lies about his wife to the Pharoah to save his own skin; at age 85, Abraham gives up on God's promise of many descendents and sleeps with a female servant so that he can have a child whom he can call his own; and then at age 99, when he hears God confirm the original promise, Abraham laughs in God's face.

However, Abraham finally learns what it means to have unquestioning faith, a trial so severe that it makes all the others seem like preschool games. Against all odds, a son is finally born to Abraham and Sarah, fulfilling God's original promise. And yet, God then calls out Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac as a burnt offering. What kind of game is God playing? What does God want? The answer: Faith- complete trust, regardless of the odds.

So, Abraham takes the wood for the burnt offering and actually places it on his own son's back before ascending the steep mountain with his son, Isaac. Yes, the same mountain to later become home to Jerusalem, the place where God will provide one day His only Son Jesus as the final sacrifice for all people who believe. Having doubted God too many times in the past, Abraham is now determined to obey. It has taken more than a hundred years, but this wandering nomad has finally learned to place his entire trust in God.

Life Question: Have you ever thought what might have happened if Abraham had said "No" to God when asked to sacrifice his only son? Would God have given him another chance, or would He have felt the need to start over- again- as in the Garden of Eden, Noah, and Sodom and Gomorrah stories. Think about a monumental course of action that God had called upon you to make. What might have happened had you chosen the "other road"?
.
Uh...Fatherhood? Lord knows that I'm still learning the ropes of this gig, but I really cannot imagine what my life would be like without my three kids. I also think God had a plan in setting my life up in such a way that I would have a teenager, a 5 year-old, and a baby all in the same household- either that, or it's just another way to show that He has a great sense of humor! All three of my kids, though, offers such a unique gift to me each day, and I truly feel blessed to have them in my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can recall a trying time in my life when I was fearful of losing my youngest daughter, who was at the time dealing with depression and suicidal tendencies. She was hurting herself (cutting on her own body) and causing my own mental state to lead me to the point of despair. After three days of being tormented by the fear of losing her to this illness,I had to allow God to take her to Heaven if that was His will. I did not enter into this prayer lightly as it would have devastated me completely and I asked the Lord to keep her safe if it were His will. I experienced my personal Mt. Moriah that day; I gave up my ownership of the greatest gift that God had given me and trusted the Lord to provide.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to Greg's comment about having to give up what we perceive as control in our lives. When my mom passed away almost 10 years ago, I was not prepared for that nor did I accept it well. I was extremely angry and could not see any useful purpose for God allowing it to happen. I went through the stages of grief and could have stayed angry until I got my answers in heaven - but what kind of path would that have been for my husband or children to walk? I had to let go and give God the benefit of all my doubts and believe that He was still sovereign and knew how it would work for good in my life. I still miss my mom terribly - just the other day I had my eyes well up as Scott told the kids about this mechanical pencil my mom had given him and how it had just quit working. He told them he was going to save it and I realized how much we both miss her!! All this to say, I chose the road of healing and let God be God. I know my faith is stronger because of my internal battle over losing my mom. Allowing God to teach me a greater dependence on Him has been a good thing along the path!!

Rob Eubank said...

Both of you are such wonderful sources of inspiration when it comes to dealing with tragedies in life. I guess I feel rather blessed in the sense that I havn't encountered anything that would be equivalent to your stories, but I certainly appreciate your candor in sharing these life experiences...