Thursday, December 28, 2006




In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.


The opening chapter of the Bible insists on two facts: Creation is God's work. Creation is good.


The first few books of Genesis can be seen as an artist's signature on a painting...God is simply saying, "This is mine." On a sad note, much has been spoiled since the days of creation. Genesis 1 described the unspoiled world that God designed for us. Whatever beauty we see in nature today probably does not do justice to the world that is described in this first chapter.


Life Question: Think of a time when you noticed- really noticed- the beauty of the natural world.


Living on Robinson Ave ( a pretty high-traffic road), it can be somewhat difficult to take notice of the natural world. Fortunately, we have an awesome backyard with four huge trees- home to every squirrel in northeast Ohio, I think. One of my favorite things to do in the summertime, is simply to have my coffee outside at the picnic table and take in the sights and sounds of my yard...and try not to grumble too much as I watch the chipmunks dig up my flowers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last time I remember being awed by nature was when we were in Las Vegas. As I grew tired of the "garbage" around me, I could look in any direction and see beautiful mountains - God's creation vs. man's mess!! Though I felt like Lot's wife at times, like I should flee and not look back, I did enjoy the beautiful nature when we left the city! Good for you that you enjoy the nature in the city!!!

Anonymous said...

One of my all-time favorite experiences is standing among the Sequoia trees in Sequoia National Park in California. I've stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon and gazed in wonder as well as seeing Niagara Falls (a couple of really cool places that come to mind that are awesome), but there was something AMAZING to me about standing at the foot of these "amazon" trees! You totally feel like a Lilliputian....a speck in a land filled with giants. I am in such awe of God and His majesty standing there. It reminds me how miniscule I truly am and that my significance is given me by God and God alone!

Anonymous said...

I am very lucky. Or, should I say blessed...I just bought a house in August. My house sits up on a hill and looks out over a lake. It is so beautiful. It is the first thing I do each morning. I really love the mornings when the fog has settled a little on the water and the sun is peeking through. Even though I appreciate this almost every day, I neglect to give thanks to God for this blessing of nature as often as I should--every day. I will have to remember this tomorrow morning!!

Anonymous said...

I had the opportunity to go exploring in the Kilbuck Creek Refuge this past Wednesday with my friend Gary. This is a way of preparing our Spring trip which often includes rough-camping along a river/creek area. We go for one reason ; to get a slow , quiet look at what God is doing that day/moment. We often are moving to quickly to notice what it means to be still. A day exploring, free from the city sites and sounds, is a great reminder that at the height of God's creation is me and you made in His image to know Him. Of all the parts of Creation we are the responsible ones who see and know that He is God.

Rob Eubank said...

Hey gang,

Thanks so much for your reflections...I'm looking forward to sharing the year with you all this way.